Saturday, August 17, 2013

Beauty Bath





Hello All!

Taking a break from my Saturday Spotlights to talk about something else: a Beauty Bath.

As you may be aware, vintage gals are advised that washing your hair should only be done about once a week, and while it might be a bit cliche, I like to wash mine on Saturday night. It gets me ready for the upcoming week which, in my almost vintage world, starts with Sunday and church.

Several, several years ago, I came across a book in the library...that I could have sworn was Betsy McCall, but now I can find neither hide nor hair of it. Upon further research, it could have been McCall's Guide to Teen Age Beauty and Glamour.  At any rate, it was a book published in the early 60's. The thing I remember about it most was the mention of a beauty bath; a weekly time you took for yourself to pamper and primp.

I kept this idea in the back of my mind for a long time and finally started to make time for it (and by extension, myself) in my weekly routine. Because I don't take baths (I much prefer a shower), I modified it somewhat, but it's still delightful and still gives me time to myself.

Here's what I do:

First, gather your supplies. Supplies for a shower? Why yes indeed!

Supplies

Nail polish remover
Nail clippers
Cuticle oil
Orange stick
Nail polish
Nail file
Loofah
Masque
Shampoo
Conditioner
Shower cap
Foot Polish
Lotion
Tweezers
Razor
Ponds Cold Cream
Bobby Pins or Curlers
Scarf





The first thing I do is take off my makeup if I'm wearing any. I do that with my trusty Pond's. Now apply your masque ( I like Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque).  While that dries, take off your old nail polish and push back your cuticles. Step into your shower and wash your hair first. Put on your conditioner and put your hair in a shower cap (conditioner still in place!).  Wash off your face. If using the foot polish, now is the time! I highly recommend Sally Hansen's Foot Polisher. I actually use it all over to get rid of dead skin. Once that is taken care of, use a washcloth and soap to firmly wash the body. Using a loofah, go over your elbows and knees to keep them smooth. Shave your legs and underarms. Take off the shower cap and rinse your hair.



Step out of the shower and, using a large towel, briskly dry yourself off. At this point you may wrap your hair in the towel or just towel dry your hair. I prefer to just towel dry and then I clip it out of the way while I finish my routine. Once dry, apply lotion. I actually apply lotion twice a day, every day. Now is a good time to groom your brows since your pores are open from your shower, so grab those tweezers. Time to finish your manicure (and pedicure if you're doing that too). Clip your nails and file into shape. Paint your toes first and then your nails. Once everything is dry, put your hair up in curlers or pins and tie a scarf around. You're done!

I know it sounds like a lot, but really, it's just a lot of little steps that don't take that much time. And it keeps you looking your vintage best!

No comments:

Post a Comment