Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Shamrock Shakes

Is there anything better than a Shamrock Shake? No, don't answer that. I'm sure there is. In fact, I know there is. But, when it's March and the Golden Arches start producing those delicious, minty concoctions, there isn't much I'd rather have. I really do try and limit myself to one small shake a year, however I've had that one shake and today, well... my sweet children and MIL went out to get out of the house for a bit and they brought me back a large shake. Oh my was it good!

I have loved these since I was a little girl. Back then, of course, the cup wasn't clear, so you couldn't see the lovely green shade of the shake. And if I recall, it was a paler green. I guess the green is why it's only available around St Patrick's Day. Probably a good thing too, because it were available all the time I'd be in big trouble!

Do you remember Grimace or Uncle O'Grimacey? Grimace was the loveable purple milkshake stealing monster from the McDonaldland characters (I always liked Hamburgler!). Uncle O'Grimacey was a relative who would show up in March to herald the arrival of the Shamrock Shake.

I get that companies and corporations need to update their images and campaigns, but gosh! I really miss some of the things from my youth! How cute are these two?

If you don't live near a McDonald's or you're just trying to stay away from processed junk (believe me, I've been trying!), here are a few copy cat recipes. I've not tried any of them, but I'm very intrigued by the paleo version and plan on trying it soon (even though I don't like avocado)! Just click on the picture to be taken to the recipe.

Weight Watchers version
http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2013/03/skinny-shamrock-shake-weight-watchers.html
http://www.primallyinspired.com/copycat-shamrock-shake-paleo-healthy-version-vegan/
Paleo version

https://www.topsecretrecipes.com/McDonalds-Shamrock-Shake-Recipe.html
Top Secret Recipe version

No comments:

Post a Comment