Friday, March 7, 2014

Eating Well

Way back in December I decided to change my eating habits. I started on December 7th and I have to say, I did great. Even through the holidays I kept to my strict diet, no exercise (no time!) plan. All the way until the end of January. At that time I had lost a total of 20 pounds which, I think, is pretty awesome. But then my weight started "bouncing" and I started getting frustrated, like I always do. And like I always do, I started slipping right back into my old, bad habits. Luckily, not much damage has been done and I'm confident that when I go back to my strict plan on Monday, things will improve :)

In case you're interested, my plan is this:
(if you're not interested, scroll to the bottom for a recipe)

NO:
dairy
beans
peanut butter
white flour
processed sugar
artificial sweetners
red meat
corn

YES:
eggs
fish
chicken (though I mainly ate fish)
most vegetables
nuts
seeds
coconut oil
natural sugar
fruit
water
tea

limited:
mayonnaise
potatoes (organic)

Now, I love vegetables and I prefer them raw over anything else. I've never been a big cabbage fan, mostly because when I've seen it prepared, it's been cooked. Ick. Something about coleslaw just doesn't sit with me, either. Well, today this recipe from Seventh Generation popped up into my Facebook feed and I have to say, it looks delicious. Very fresh. Very, dare I say, Spring-y. Since cabbage is so inexpensive right now, I think I may have to give this a try!


Cabbage Salad

4 cups shredded cabbage (or ½ small head)
3 tbs sunflower seeds
2 tbs chopped cilantro
3 tbs toasted sesame oil
2 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
pinch of salt


1. Toast sunflower seeds in a pan until golden brown (pay attention to avoid burning).
2. Make dressing by combining toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and honey.
3. Cut cabbage into thin slices or slice with a food processor.
4. Chop/cut cilantro and mix with cabbage in a bowl.
5. Pour dressing onto cabbage and cilantro, sprinkle a pinch of salt, and mix to evenly dress cabbage.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment