Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Giving Up

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. For many religions, Lent is a period of prayer and fasting that leads up to Easter. Though the entire period is 46 days, the actual time is only 40, the same time frame that Jesus spent in the desert fasting and being tempted by Satan.

I grew up Catholic, though I am not a practicing Catholic now. I joined a different church that is classified as Christian and I love it. I guess though, that you can take the girl out of Catholicism but you can't take the Catholicism out of the girl :). It is customary to "give up" something you enjoy for Lent. One year I actually gave up chocolate! Wow! That was really, really hard. I admit it freely. My mom usually gives up wine. Several years ago I stopped giving *things* up and started fasting twice a week. I also try to be more receptive to other people. I'm not really putting that right, I'm just not sure how to word it! It's been a long day and I'm tired.

Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment