Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Crock Pot Recipe

In an effort to post more regularly, I'm just going to post random items. Perhaps that will get me more into a groove and then I can post more intelligently! lol! On that note, here's what I made for supper tonight. Comforting Cube Steaks. I had originally planned on Beef Stew. However, when I went to the store there was only one package of stew beef to be had *and* cube steak was on sale! So, I modified my menu to use them. I fell back on this recipe that I've used for a few years now, specifically in the fall and winter, when a warm, hearty meal fits the bill. I most often serve it with mashed potatoes, but it is lovely with rice as well. A few notes:

1. I do not cook mine in the oven. I use it, as stated in the title of my post, in the crock pot :) It always turns out super fall-apart-tender. I love being able to throw everything in the pot and go about my day!

2. I do not use Cajun seasoning. Most often I will use Lawry's or Montreal Steak Seasoning.

3. I use homemade onion soup mix. It works just fine.

4. Because we are a mostly gluten free house (my husband can't have it), I make my own "soup". It is based on this recipe. When I first found this version, I followed it to a t. Now, honestly, I mix milk and cornstarch (about 4 cups of milk with 1/2 cup cornstarch looks about two cans of soup) add some salt, garlic, pepper, and celery salt, and call it a day!


I wish I had thought to take a picture when it was finished cooking, but I had hungry children waiting to be fed!

No comments:

Post a Comment